Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Happy Library

Photo from the Goucher College Library Site

I admit that I was looking for a fun, light library topic to write about (my eyes are crossing after too much online reading, my husband calls it pixel head) but I got a bigger taste of silliness than I bargained for at Goucher College.  Goucher is a small liberal arts school located in a suburb of Baltimore, MD that began as a women’s college founded by Methodist minister Dr. John Goucher and John B. Van Meter in 1885.  A recent claim to fame was their 2004 Newsweek recognition of having the happiest college students.  The article cites student’s ability to take one class a semester at another school (including Johns Hopkins) and 10:1 student teacher ratio as happiness factors.  A new mandatory program would certainly make me happy - every student must complete a  study abroad requirement (how cool is that?) AND they provide students with a $1,200 stipend to defray the costs.
I can also see why they might be happy after stopping by the library to vote on the Edible Book Fest.  The contest has two requirements:  the entry must be made of food and it must reference a book.  
Here are some of my favorites from last year’s submissions - they can be seen at the library website.
  • A gouda cheese man hiding in a cardboard forest... A Gouda Man is Hard to Find
  • A chocolate bundt cake with army men...All Quiet on the Western Bundt
  • A pig shaped cake...Mansfield Pork
  • Playmobile figures covered in Ketchup on baked potatoes...In Cold Spud
  • A kiwi-man in a nest of seaweed...The Old Man in the Seaweed
And My favorite...
  • A cake with a slice cut out and placed to the side...A Seperate Piece
I’m marking my calendar for April 7th to check out the new entries and see the winners (can you believe some people think I don’t know how to have fun?).   Until then I’ll be thinking about my book titles in a whole new light.
Here’s a odd fact about Goucher - apparently 200 deer live on the 287 acre wooded campus.  Biologists advised the college that the area is only able to support approximately 40 deer.  Each year the college hires BOWMEN to thin the population (where does one go to hire a bowman?) - not surprisingly there have been protests.  My daughter recommended they try deer birth control instead - much more sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment