Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Widener


Photo from 'Cold Night Distant Campfire' blog

The Harvard library map (yes there is an entire map just just for the libraries) clearly states that only patrons with Harvard identification are allowed to enter the Widener Library but I thought they were exaggerating.  Surely if a pathetic 4th grade teacher from Buffalo appeared at the desk the guard would take pity on me and let me peek at the grandeur, right?

Wrong.

The guard couldn’t have been any nicer as he told me there was absolutely no way I was getting my nosey, prying eyes into the inner sanctum of the library.  Even after I told him I came all the way from Buffalo.  He had no pity.  

He gave me the map and suggested I visit one of the other libraries.
“The law library is where President O’bama studied,” he tempted.
“No thanks,” I mumbled and my daughter elbowed me and reminded me to “be nice” in her best imitation of her mom voice.

We stood outside on the steps and watched the umbrella covered tours pass below and soaked in the wisdom vibe of the Harvard campus.  Even if I couldn't get inside, I could still enjoy the romantic story how the Widener library came to be, don’t need no stinking Harvard ID for that.

Harry Elkins Widener was a rare book collector and a Harvard graduate of 1907.  He lived in Philadelphia (Elkins Park) and, although he was only 27, he was a loyal alumnus who had already made plans to donate his book collection, estimated at 3,300,  to Harvard upon his death, which he probably envisioned decades in the future.  Harry passionately loved books and collecting them with personal integrity.  In 1919 he wrote, ““No matter how important a book or manuscipt may be I only want those which interest me.”

In April, 1912, Harry and his parents went to England so Harry could purchase more rare books, including a second edition of Bacon’s essais from 1592.  Harry was eager to get home to attend a book auction and on April 19, 1914 the Widener’s boarded the Titanic and started their five day journey back to New York.  Harry and his books would be seen again.  

There are unconfirmed stories that Harry could have joined his mother and other survivors in lifeboats but decided to stay aboard the Titanic with his father and other men.  One tale tells of Harry getting out of his lifeboat to return to his cabin for Bacon’s essais.

Mrs. Widener, having lost her husband and her son, returned to Philadelphia and began working with Harvard to create a library in Harry’s honor.  

As it happens, Harvard was in the market for a new library.  Gore Hall, previously located on the site of Widener, was “outdated and inadequate”.  Harvard convinced Mrs. Widener to embark on a grand library project that would provide them with a flagship library and her with a monument to her son’s memory.  She donated $3.5 million and the family’s favorite firm, Horace Trumbauer & Associates was hired as the architect.  Together they created a massive Beaux-Arts structure with over 50 miles of shelves and the ability to hold over 3 million volumes.

Harry’s collection is located in the center of the building in a room panelled in English Oak, resembling a library from the set of Masterpiece Theater.  Mrs. Widener stipulated that fresh flowers be placed under Harry’s portrait each day, a tradition that Harvard continues today. If the security guard had let me by, I could have reported on the arrangement.

Widener’s  doors opened in 1915 and contained Harvard’s collection for only 15 years before the shelves were overflowing and Harvard began decentralizing the library, which has led to the current assortment of  70 libraries.  There is an exhibit of Harry’s life, including many items from Harvard’s archives at the website.

There is more about Harvard’s libraries in  Counting Libraries at Harvard:  Not as Easy as You Think, by Timothy Hanke and published in the Harvard Gazette.

I’m sure they all have a story but none quite as romantic as the Harry’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment