Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thanks Dad!

My dad taught me how to work hard.  He taught me how good it feels to do a job well and while I didn’t necessarily appreciate learning how stack wood or rake leaves as a teenager, I can see that my adult work ethic comes from watching my dad work.  

My dad worked for IBM and other computer companies for decades, he is the ultimate salesman and makes friends with everyone everywhere (the waitress, the guy at the hardware store, the farmer next door and the checkout girl).  

George W. Casey, Jr.at the children's room at Fort Hood
This year he retired for about 5 minutes before getting a full time job at Lowe’s.  Now he’s learning how to drive the forklift, unloading delivery trucks and setting up sales displays (he’s 69 yrs. old) and loving it.  He drops into his recliner at the end of the day feeling the satisfaction of a good day’s work (usually the equivalent of a week’s work).

Dads are usually the behind the scenes guys...doing their own thing and staying out of the day-to-day trivialities that moms get the pleasure of dealing with.  But their actions offer kids powerful messages about what’s important and how to live.  The Fort Hood Library offered a bittersweet Dad story that are reminded me how lucky I am to have my dad around.

George W. Casey, Jr.may have been the Chief of Staff of the US Army (he retired in April)  but once upon a time he also was an Army brat  with a brave dad.  His father, George W. Casey, Sr. died in a helicopter crash in  Vietnam in 1970.   

Three years after Casey Sr. died, Fort Hood named renamed their library the Casey Memorial Library.  Last year the library opened a new children’s wing and Casey Jr. stopped by on his way to Washington D.C. to read Dr. Seuss to a group of  kids.  He told the kids to read so they could get really smart and get to the top.  

The library at Fort Hood offers kids a place to read, learn and hang out and gives them a place to escape the stress of having a deployed parent.  Anther time, during a question/answer session with kids at the “Good Grief Camp” he talked about his memories of his dad at the beach and teaching him how to play sports.  When he was asked what he would tell his father if he could see him again, he replied, “I really miss you.”

A few other things my dad taught me?  Close the curtains, wear a belt, read the Hardy Boys, get the oil changed in the car, make an effort and don’t be late.  Beside the curtains, I’ve taken all his lessons to heart.  Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment