Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dear Diary

Patrick Breen's Diary from the
 Academy of Pacific Coast History

There is something deliciously indecent about reading a diary that’s not your own, not that I’ve ever done it myself.  I’m just imagining sneaking a peek at the hidden pages, glancing guiltily over my shoulder to make sure I don’t get caught...
Lucky for me memoirs are the all the rage in popular fiction lately- which is kind of like reading all the good parts of a diary, skipping over the boring bits and not worrying about getting caught.  My favorite memoir is Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert, followed by Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen.  My ‘read next’ list has two more that I’m looking forward to: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua and Poser by Claire Dederer.  I devour these book like movie theater popcorn, lick my fingers and head back for more, probably because I see parts of myself in the authors, their struggles comfort me and give me hope for happy endings.  But sometimes it's just the lure of a great story, I don’t have a lot in common with Greg Mortensen but I just couldn’t step away from his book,  Three Cups of Tea, it was riveting and inspirational.  

The Morgan Library has made diary peeping safe - you too can be a voyeur from the comfort of your own desk...assuming you live too far away to hop on a subway and visit in person.  I was a little skeptical about digital library collections before seeing (and hearing) this exhibit - online exhibits always seemed a little skimpy, like hors d’oeuvres without any dinner to follow.  However, in my book, The Morgan is really more of a museum than  a library, first of all it’s not free and public and, second, they have the money, resources and people power required to put on a spectacular exhibit.
“the diary:  Three Centuries of Private Lives” is more like a banquet or an ‘all you can eat buffet’ set up in the best restaurant in town.    Previously private diaries, from Sir Walter Scott to Tennessee Williams, are thrown open to reveal every detail, sordid and mundane, of daily life.  This exhibit will have you clicking back for more during the stolen moments of your day, hey, everyone needs a mid-afternoon pick me up, right?.  There are so many juicy stories and one link leads to another and another, there is more content than one person could possibly absorb in a visit, which is the beauty of a digital collection

Here’s another plus...not only can you see and zoom into the actual diary pages (transcribed for easy reading) but also you can listen to a podcast explaining the highlights of each diary, revealing the connections between the texts and retelling wonderful story snippets.  I was briefly transported into the lives of each writer, feeling their pain, love, resolve and heartache.  
But wait, there’s more.  You get all this, for free, plus a blog from Christine Nelson, the exhibit curator.  The blog shares background, insights and reflection about diaries and explains purpose.  It also includes guest posts from exhibited diary authors, offering added depth to enjoy the reading.
Visiting this exhibit online is like having a guided, private tour of the best library in the best city without the  crowds, tired feet and empty wallet.  I’ve got to go...Charlotte Bronte’s diary is waiting...  

No comments:

Post a Comment