Saturday, May 28, 2011

Library Disciple Discoveries

My job as a library disciple is to read, think and learn from the libraries I visit each week.  Instead of churning through one library after the next on a whirlwind tour, I’m trying to take some lessons to heart put them into practice.  Here’s what the library taught me this week:

  • Be Grateful.  Life is so much more pleasant when you wake up thinking about all the blessings you have instead of all the challenges you face.  This week I thought about how lucky I was to have my job as a teacher.  It is the most exhausting job I have ever had - each day brings new challenges, confrontations, tears, frustrations and hours of talking and answering questions (mostly the same questions as the day before, “when are we going outside?”, “is it lunchtime?”, “do you have candy?”).  But my job also brings small victories, discovery, enlightenment and joy.  When a student looks up from a project and says, “this is really fun!”  I get goosebumps.  When they want to talk about the characters in our chapter book on the walk to the bus, I am elated.  And when  they tell me they love 4th grade I know I am doing the right thing each morning and I am grateful.
  • Accept Yourself.  You probably wouldn’t guess that Lady Gaga’s on my playlist, but she is - a few times.  My new favorite is “Born This Way” and reminded me of the dimensions of personality I read about this week.  It’s more than a little reassuring to think that parts of our personalities are hardwired and we don’t have to struggle to change ourselves to be someone ‘more acceptable’.  Not to say that we can’t improve and move forward but some people are born libraries and some people come out as amusement parks - that is just the way it is.  I’m certainly not a religious person but Gaga’s message of “loving who you are” and not hiding in regret is powerful - and beside, it has a great beat (I’ll be using it to pick up the pace in tomorrow’s marathon!)
  • Set Priorities.  Who you become comes from the choices you make today.  LEED libraries are a perfect metaphor.  To end up with a environmentally friendly building, architects start by working on a thoughtful, detailed plan that incorporates their priorities.  Each element of the design and construction is held up to their long term goal and considered.  Our days should follow the same  pattern - are we doing the things that are most important to us, that will help us reach our goals or are we wandering the aisles of the grocery store in search of the ‘right’ breakfast cereal, folding socks and scrubbing the bathroom.  I love cereal, matching socks and having a clean house but they are not my priorities and there will never be enough time to do everything perfectly.  My chores come last, after I have taken care of my priorities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment