Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Would You Do?

artistic rendering of the new library in Billings (maybe)

I’m not in short supply of things to worry about, in fact my list grows and replenishes itself regularly, but I’m pretty certain that I’ll never have to stress over the choice of whether or not to make my million dollar donation to the library anonymous. 

But Steven Schwarzman got me thinking.  When Schwarzman gave $100 million to The New York Public Library in 2008, they not only renamed the main library for him, but they also carved his name in the century old marble facade and sprinkled gold plaques at the entrance for all to see.  No doubt about it, $100 million is a huge gift, an enormous gift, an unbelievable gift, no matter what your net worth, but does it feel better to give if you’re thanked in such a dramatic, public way?  I suppose it comes down to motivation.  Why did Schwarzman give and what was he hoping for in return?  After reading Daniel Pink’s book, Drive, I wonder if he was intrinsically motivated to do good in the world or was he looking for an extrinsic reward.  Since he’s not answering my calls we won’t ever know...

I ended up back in Billings, Montana for a counterpoint (more about Billings in my post ‘No Respect’).  Last October, Bill Cochran, the director of the Parmly Billings Library announced that an anonymous donor had come forward and offered $2 million toward the creation of a new city library.  The only catch was that the donor wanted to be involved in the library design.  According to Matt Hagengruber’s article in a Billing Gazette article, the donor wanted to ensure that the building was “architecturally appealing” (which could mean anything).  The donor is not concerned with the building’s location, interior or name but does want the facility to have “architectural significance”.  The $2 million gift cropped up at the beginning of the library foundations fundraising campaign to raise $5 million in private support for a new library.  

I don’t really want a library named after me, but how much fun would it be to play library architect - and actually have some clout!  That’s a bargaining chip I would enjoy.
The library foundation recently revealed the prospective model of the library designed by Will Brueder, of the firm will brueder + PARTNERS, who is well known for the design of two Phoenix libraries and the Nevada Museum of Art, looks like the donor approves of modern design..
Check out Brueder in action, explaining the features of his design, his enthusiasm is contagious- I have my fingers crossed that Billings will step up to the challenge of raising the remaining money and that the city will approve the bond.  While $2 million isn’t $100 million, it still is an awful lot of money.  Why didn’t this donor need the public thanks and recognition that was certainly their due?
Well, as the great philosopher Dr. Seuss wondered, “What would you do, if your mother asked you?

No comments:

Post a Comment