Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Relaxation Response

As I pulled into the library parking lot on Friday afternoon I started to worry, was I a readaholic, using books to run away from the real world?  Was I fooling myself by thinking that reading was an acceptable addiction?  Sure, it’s free and not overtly bad for my health, but is escaping from the daily grind a healthy pursuit? I turned to my new library mentor, Nancy Pearl, for advice.  She explains her addiction this way:

"Reading has always brought me pure joy. I read to encounter new worlds and new ways of looking at the world. I read to enlarge my horizons, to gain wisdom, to experience beauty, to understand myself better, and for the pure wonderment of it all. I read for company, and for escape. Because I am incurably interested in the lives of other people, both friends and strangers, I read to meet myriad folks and enter their lives- for me, a way of vanquishing the “otherness” we all experience." — Nancy Pearl

Now that doesn’t sound bad at all, does it?  Maybe there was more to reading than just escaping, in fact she makes reading sound like a healthy stress reliever (at the least) and at the most, a tool for personal growth, learning and connections.  Phew.

Unless you live under a rock, stress is ubiquitous, like bad weather in Buffalo, it just keeps coming... money, relationships, jobs, kids, houses and pets can all add to our joy or pile on daily stress.  Throw in a big change, like moving, a new job or divorce and the stress-o-meter spikes.

Learning how to cope with the onslaught of daily stress is critical to staying happy and preventing the day when the alarm goes off and you can’t get out of bed, for a month.  
So what to do with all pressure? The familydoctor.org suggests relaxation, deep breathing and meditation, sure you can try them at home, locked in the closet while the phone rings and your kids try to hunt you down, but why not go down the street to the library?  You can even bring your kids and park them in the children’s room.  

Start at the new book display and, are you ready for this...Stand Still, Breath and Ponder your Interests silently.  Stand there for a long time then choose something (cookbook, magazine, travel guide, trashy novel, anything) and go Sit Down, continue Breathing and Silently read.  Can you feel it?   The Relaxation Response starts to work its magic as a feeling of calmness settles on you, your muscle relax, your heart rate slows and lovely happy chemicals start flowing...just remember not to chant or snore too loudly.

The University of Michigan’s Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center points to research that the Relaxation Response “increase energy, decrease fatigue as well as increase arousal from a drowsy state.  It can increase motivation, productivity, and improve decision-making ability.  The relaxation response lowers stress hormone levels and lowers blood pressure.”  No wonder I keep going back - I’m not addicted to reading, I just love to relax!

The goal of the relaxation response is to be physically relaxed and mentally alert - exactly what happens at the library.  How many other hobbies offer free relaxation centers in the middle of town?  So, in between grocery shopping, carpooling and laundry, carve out an hour for your health and escape to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment