Monday, January 3, 2011

Back To School

We’re headed back to school in NYC today, virtually anyway ...The Robin Hood Foundation (an anti-poverty organization) began work  with the NYC School Department and Mayor Bloomberg way back in 2002 to create libraries in under-performing, underfunded public schools that would excite and inspire students, parents and teachers.   You must check out these unbelievable spaces.  Go to the slide show at the NYT and also to pictures at the Robin Hood website.  These libraries so cool and FUN how could any kid resist them!  It made me wonder why libraries aren’t more fun more often?  I suspect “fun” is expensive and requires architects and artists ($40 million dollars was donated for the NYC project) but WOW the spaces are like candy - impossible to resist.  
I particularly love the space at PS 47 with the artwork by Maira Kalman - is just reeks creativity, imagination and joy.  Maira Kalman has written and illustrated several children's books including “What Pete Ate From A-Z” and my daughters childhood favorite “Stay Up Late” (using the lyrics of the Talking Heads song).  But then I started thinking...of course library spaces are critically important to the experience of going to the library, they are only the shell.  The excitement, joy and wonder comes from the books; from their wisdom, ideas and transcendence.  The electric spark I feel when I step into a library comes from the books that are spread out like a sumptuous buffet, calling me to dive in and explore.  The trick with school libraries is using them to show children that the books are the treasure.  As I teacher I can attest to the fact that if they don’t want to step in the library it makes this task considerably harder.  But once you get them in, you have to read great books to them, that’s what will bring them back, and hopefully begin a life long addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment