Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Best Medicine

It’s not often that you actually crack up at the library - maybe a smile or a giggle once in a while but not actually laughter.  Last night I was hysterical.  My husband and I were on our way home from a party in Buffalo.  Because of my obsession I sometimes check out books from Buffalo if I’m looking for something in particular or I find myself with time to kill in Erie County.  The problem is returning the books.  Since I actually live about an hour outside Erie County, I have to coordinate my returns with trips to ‘the big city’.  

So, it was about midnight when we swung by the Kenmore Branch on Delaware Road (I had the address in my GPS) and I sent my husband out to drop off a handful of books (it was about 10 degrees outside).  It is important to note that it is possible that he may have had a cocktail or two too many.  I watched him as he wandered around the entrance for a minute, searching for the book drop.  The punchline arrived when he happily put my books in a large green receptacle with a flap and staggered back to the car.
The scene of the confusion
“I think you just put my books in the garbage, “ I said.  
He looked at me, “I wondered about that.”
“I think you should go fish them out now,” I said, trying not to laugh too hard, he was relatively defenseless.  

He hauled himself out of the car, stuck his arm into the trash can (by now I was laughing uncontrollably) and fished out the books - thank goodness they don’t have a “librarian-cam” - this episode would not make the “how to care for your books” list - I’d probably get my card revoked, not to mention the bill.  After more wandering I called him back in the car and we drove around to the back of the branch and found a flap that said “book drop” - AHA - just goes to show you...reading is fundamental.

No comments:

Post a Comment