Friday, January 14, 2011

Want Fries With That?

As we have previously established, hip is not a word used to describe me.  If I were hip I certainly wouldn’t be spending so much of my leisure time reading, writing and visiting the library.  However, I do like to think I am current when it comes to library affairs.  
Apparently not.  As Einstein said, “The more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know.”  Part of my ignorance comes from lack of exposure to ‘cutting edge’ big city and university libraries - too many years in small town America has left me in the dark ages (excuses, excuses).   After moving to WNY several years ago I finally embarked on a field trip to Central Library, located at 1 Layfayette Square, in downtown Buffalo.  While the imposing structure was not particularly appealing on the outside, I was thunderstruck when I cleared the security gate and found myself in a cafe (Fables, operated by the Davidson Restaurant Group).  It was a candid camera moment.  I looked around and wondered if I had come in the wrong entrance or taken a wrong turn.  Nobody else seemed alarmed or surprised by the sound of frothing milk or sizzling paninis in the library.  
“Well, I’ll be”, I said to myself.  
Myself ordered a coffee and a biscotti and sat down to enjoy the library view.
Turns out libraries all across the country have invited cafes and bistros into their hallowed midst in order to stay competitive, attract new members and appear more friendly and comfortable.  Starbucks are even ubiquitous in the library!  Change again rears its ugly but yummy head (and Carnegie is rolling over in his grave).  There is no denying that people have changed over the past 150 years, now they want it all and they want it everywhere.  It’s not enough for the library to offer new, free books, beautiful spaces and peace and quiet.  In the 21st century they need to be more than free, open, voluminous and everywhere - now they have to sell skinny caramel macchiatos.        

No comments:

Post a Comment